Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Place to Speak Your Mind....

In Midland, I wasn't considered your normal twenty something year old. I was a proud, outspoken Democrat. I wore Democratic tshirts, had Democratic bumper stickers on my car, and wasn't afraid to say, "Hey! I'm a Democrat!". These are simply things most people in Midland were afraid to do; it could compromise their job position pr make people upset. Some people just didn't feel comfortable being as out in the open as I was about it. This is why the state Democratic convention is socially important to people from small towns.

The last weekend of June was the state Democratic convention, held in Dallas, TX. It was a blast. There were so many events going on, interesting people to talk to, and most of the candidates on the Democratic ticket were there. We ran in to Leticia Van de Putte and Wendy Davis multiple times, just by walking around the venue! This is something you could call a safe haven. This is a place where everyone believes in the same things, politically, as you do. A place where you can be open about your beliefs and stand strong on issues that are most important to you. It's a place you won't feel judged or looked down upon, simply a place you feel right.

 This may not be the best picture, but it's one of my favorites. This was during the woman's caucus, while Wendy Davis was speaking. The energy in that room was unbelievable and something I'll never forget.

One of my favorite moments of that weekend was Sunday. My guests were preparing to leave, and each one of them had on a Democratic shirt to wear home to Midland. It made me so happy to see 4 women so fearless to be proud of who they were politically in such a Republican county. Here's a picture of my guests at convention :)

 Lastly, I'd like to thank David Rosen. He took me under his wing, so to speak, when I lived in Midland. Him and his wife were so nice and accepting of me right off the bat. David not only made me his Vice Chair of the Midland County Democratic Party, but he taught me so much about politics from county level to nationally. He's also taken me to a few extremely awesome fundraisers for candidates, such as Wendy Davis, Leticia Van de Putte, and Pete Gallego. I thought I knew about politics until I met David. Thanks for everything, David.

I miss my Midlanders, a lot. I miss my Democratic women, my favorite County Chair of all time, and just the Democrats in general. I miss making a difference with them, but I know they'll continue to make me proud.

Love all of you so much, see you soon; but until then, let's turn Texas blue!

No comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com