Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

There are some things I'll never understand......

Evening everyone!

This blog post is coming to you straight from my couch, which has all 3 of my furbabies taking up most of the room. You'll see why that information is important later.

This past weekend, I went to work for visit my mother, who just happens to own the Sweetwater Performing Arts Center in good ole' Sweetwater, TX. Recital is around the corner, and costumes are here! I was up till about 3:30AM this morning finishing costumes...... ugh! I'm exhausted.

Saturday, my mother and I went to Abilene, TX to pick up a few last minute things for parent observation (which is this coming week!) and run around. We picked up my mother's friend, Linda, and made the mistake of going to Petsmart. This past weekend was the largest adoption event in West Texas, of course I'd end up there. We spent a good hour walking around, talking ourselves out of adopting a dog.... which wasn't easy. This my friends, brings us to the reason I named this blog post "There are some things I'll never understand...."

Today, when I was getting ready to leave Sweetwater, my mother and I were standing at my car, giving our "goodbye" hugs when we noticed her neighbors across the street were outside. They have had 1 dog (pitbull mix) chained on a small lead for atleast 4 years..... he doesn't seem to have much shelter, and is very skinny. He's dug a hole so deep under his fence he can WALK under it and sit on the other side. NOT OKAY. The other one is a newer addition, a black pitbull mix, who is chained just like the other, only to the opposite side of the fence, towards the alley. We stand there and watch this teenager "play" with the black pitbull. Hitting it with a waterhose and letting the dog grab on and swing it around. Mind you, this dog is STILL chained. Finally, a few minutes later, after hitting the dog a few more times, he lays the waterhose over the dogs back of the neck and leaves. I yell to him "I sure hope that dog doesn't get caught in the waterhose and choke itself!!!" he then replied (stupidly) "Oh, my bad." I then proceeded to chew him out. Where is that dog's shelter?!?!?!!? Where is his water and food?!?! You know what he had the nerve to say "His shelter is inside the house" I was FURIOUS by this point. That dog, nor the other, has NEVER been anywhere else but that damn backyard, chained to that stupid runline! You damn right I told him that too!

I just don't understand, why would someone get a dog to only chain it up outside? I know everyone has different views of dogs, and their places in a family. Some people believe that dogs are only meant to be outside, while some don't even care if their dog sticks around or not.

After I got in my car to leave, all I could think about was the poor dogs and cats at the adoption event in Abilene; oh how I hope each and every one that got adopted went to a good, loving, caring home, unlike the neighbors I mentioned earlier.

My "dogs" are part of my family; they are one of us. No, they may not walk on two legs or pick up after themselves, but they are my world; my life; my family. It kills me everytime I go to my mother's house to see the dogs across the street, I wish I could just take them away from that place and show them what a good home is.


Hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

See Sara Go said...

When we adopted our kitties, Snooki and Sammi - we went to a shelter/adoption place and they did a whole check on us, our home, and had us fill a questionnaire. I was happy they did that. Unfortunately, not all shelters do that and animals are sent to homes where people don't appreciate them. I don't get why people get pets if they can't love them the way they should be. I think people think "oh cute, I want a dog", and then once they see this animal depends on them and requires hard work and real care, they just stop caring. It's sad really. I'm glad your three dogs have such a wonderful mommy :)

Leah @ Life as a Payne said...

I'm so glad to hear that the shelter did a home visit for y'all (although, doubt they needed it)!! So many places just don't care, and neither do the people that are adopting. Thanks for your sweet remarks, I think their mommy is pretty awesome :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com